ROCKLAND COUNTY, N.Y. -- Pearl River's Meg Higgins heard a spark behind her couch on Wednesday morning and within minutes the multi-family home she lived in was up in flames.
Hours later, the home was uninhabitable, leaving Higgins, who grew up in Ridgewood, and her nine-year-old daughter homeless.
Luckily, no one was hurt, including their dog and cat, but after losing everything, a family member decided to start a GoFundMe page in order to help the two replace their clothes, furniture, and other necessities.
Within hours, the site had raised more than $15,000, $5,000 more than the $10,000 goal. The page was closed on Thursday.
The fire began around 11:49 a.m. Wednesday on North William Street. Police and fire responded within minutes, but the flames spread to the second and third floors, said Orangetown Police. ￼
"While we cannot replace the priceless things we can rise as a community around them to help rebuild their home," said Michele LaRotonda on the GoFundMe page. "The financial support will help with personal needs like clothing, furniture, school supplies, and rebuilding a life together."
The Orangetown fire inspector said the cause of the fire does not appear to be suspicious.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.