PIERMONT, N.Y. -- Last week, I attended the "Best Of Westchester 2016" party at the Glen Island Harbor Club in New Rochelle.The party, hosted by Westchester Magazine, is always one of the best parties of the summer and this year was no exception.
Nearly 3000 guests partied while sampling the best Westchester has to offer. For me I was honored to receive “Best Of” in four categories: Best American Restaurant, Best Burger, Best Brunch and Best Martini. We showcased and sampled one of my favorite dishes at the restaurant -- wild mushroom risotto.
We also celebrated at the Slovenia Vodka Lounge where guests sampled the best martini’s while Westchester’s premier DJ Alex Lampert of Jimmy Dee entertainment had the overflow crowd dancing up a storm.
If you missed the event, I've included a recipe for my risotto here.
Wild Mushroom Risotto Shaved Parmigiano (Courtesy of Peter X. Kelly, The Xaviars Restaurant group)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. brandy
- 9 ounces Arborio rice
- 4 ounces white wine
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 8 ounces wild mushroom (morels, chanterelles, porcini or hen of the woods preferable)
- 1 piece shallot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
- Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a sauté pan
- Add chopped shallot and sweat till soft , 2 minutes
- Add mushrooms to pan and sauté
- Add brandy to pan an ignite to burn off liquor
- Season mushrooms with salt & Ground pepper
- Set aside and keep warm
- Bring 6 cups of chicken stock to a simmer.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in 4-quart heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook till softened but not colored. About three minutes.
- Add rice and stir with a wooden spoon till rice turns opaque (about two minutes).
- Add white wine and stir till wine is absorbed.
- Begin adding stock to rice, one cup at a time stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before the next addition until the rice is very creamy looking but still al dente (you will have left over stock).
- Add wild mushrooms and 2 tablespoons butter, cheese and chopped scallions and stir to combine.
- If necessary add a little more stock to thin risotto.
- Serve immediately Topped with grilled whole ramps.